Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Aussie way

I loved the way The Sydney Morning Herald concluded their article yesterday:
Australian captain Ricky Ponting admitted India outplayed them in the one-day finals. A more graceful captain would also have admitted that India had out-behaved Australia all summer.
Succinct punch indeed. It brings out several pertinent things such as:
  1. The Aussies were outplayed (duh)
  2. Ponting could be "more" graceful (though I agree that there might be slight disagreements over the extent of improvement possible - on a logarithmic scale, that is)
  3. Ponting could have admitted something more (bracketed text from (2) to be repeated here)
  4. India behaved much better than the Aussies

On a slightly tangential note, I have a nagging feeling that Hayden just didn't finish his sentence when talking to the radio station. May be had they asked him after the finals, he'dda said: (addtional quote italicized)

They are losing every game they are playing. Look at us. Since the year last, we decided that we only lose finals.

How ignorant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.